Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Edible fun

http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/search/label/Edible%20Activities

Another blog from Pinterest.  This mom used to be a preschool teacher
and now is a home schooling mom.

This is a great activity for letter recognition....and a fun way to beat the heat on a hot summer day!  I bought these molds from Amazon.com.  For this batch, I wanted to make them edible, so I used -

  • the juice of 6 lemons
  • 3/4 C heavy cream
  • 1/4 C sugar
  • 1/4 C water
I poured the mixture into separate containers and added food coloring for color variations, poured into the molds, and froze them overnight.

My son is only 2, and I dont typically skips steps in the learning process, so we really only talked about letter names and sounds during this activity.  He actually has NO interest in letters, so I dont force it - but I try to mention the name and sound of the letter when I can.  (I think he knows more than he lets on, though.  LOL)  A GREAT idea, that I will try in the future, is to incorporate the ice bricks.  You can add tiny objects to the bricks that have the beginning sounds of the letters - when the child hammers out an object, he matches it to the ice letter!  FUN!  I think its important for my son to have the prerequisite skill of letter SOUNDS before we tackle beginning sounds - but Im sooooooo looking forward to that activity - NEXT summer - LOL.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment