Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Drop Box

Here is another idea I would love some help with.
http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/2011/07/drop-box.html

I think I want to make one of these first.  I don't have to wait for warmer weather.


Drop Box

My youngest (17M) loves to dump and pour and is taking a big interest in her shape sorting toys.  Recently, at the playground she's been putting rocks and sticks down the holes of the platforms.  I started off by putting an aluminum grill pan over her "dump box".  She had a lot of fun just sticking stuff through the holes.  However, the holes were a bit small... it was hard to find certain things that would fit, and she was becoming frustrated.  I decided to make mine own version. 






Materials:

Cardboard box
Razor blade
Objects to put in holes
Some creativity!  

THIS IS HOW I DID IT.  There are so many options and possibilities to explore.  For a sturdier piece you can use a piece of wood and drill holes, you can use paint, markers, letters, shapes, big holes, small holes, etc. etc. etc.  

For the objects I used colored matchsticks, foam shapes, different color pony beads, colored pasta, and black rocks that I painted letters onto (Walmart $3.00).  I set this up for both my 17M old AND my 2 year old.  I wanted to make it fun and interesting for both of them.  I made small holes both plain and some with color around them.  Different shapes (triangle, square, circle, rectangle, and diamond).  Letter holes and number holes.  I did NOT force letters, numbers, shapes etc. on to them.  They explored at their own free will.  :-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment